Cloud-based security solutions are cybersecurity measures that are hosted in the cloud, rather than on-premises. These cybersecurity solutions provide capabilities such as threat detection, data protection, and access control, among others, and are all accessible via the internet. In this article, our IT solutions expert will discuss what cloud-based security solutions are and how it can benefit your business.
Cybersecurity Measures That Exist Online
Cloud-based security solutions are just cybersecurity measures (applications, protocols, technologies, among others) that exist online as opposed to traditional IT solutions that are installed on physical computers in a network or also referred to as on-premises. As with traditional cybersecurity solutions, cloud-based security solutions such as M365 are designed to protect your business from different cyberattacks and are used to secure applications, data, infrastructure, and other on-premises resources.
There are many different types of cloud-based security solutions that are designed to address specific different aspects of cybersecurity. Below are just some of the examples and their functions.
A Firewall is a network security device that monitors and filters incoming and outgoing network traffic based on an organization’s security policies. These are designed to provide network security by assessing and regulating traffic to and from cloud resources. Firewalls are especially effective in preventing trojan attacks and keyloggers but are susceptible to other malwares disguised in the form of trusted data.
Cloud-Based Identity and Access Management
Identity Access Management is a framework of business processes, policies, and technologies that controls permissions and access for users to critical information within your organization. This is where password protections systems, multi-factor authentication, and privileged access management fall under.
Cloud-Based Data Encryption
Cloud encryption is a data security process in which plaintext readable data is encoded into unreadable ciphertext to help keep data secure while it is in transit or at rest.
Cloud-Based Threat Intelligence
Threat Intelligence is a cybersecurity solution that leverages machine learning and other techniques to analyze and detect threats in real-time, providing early warning and response to security incidents as they take place.
M365, a Cloud-Based Suite of Applications with Built-In Cybersecurity Measures
M365 is a cloud-based suite of productivity and collaboration applications and services offered by Microsoft. It includes several built-in cybersecurity solutions that help organizations protect their data and systems such as Multi-Factor Authentication, Azure Active Directory, Advanced Threat Protection, Data Loss Prevention, and Best-In-Class Data Encryption. You can learn more about the cybersecurity measures within Microsoft 365 in this article.
Avail of Cloud-Based Cybersecurity Solutions from Your Trusted IT Solutions Experts
Cloud-based cybersecurity measures afford your business the following benefits:
- Scalable – designed to be easy to scale and can easily accommodate changes in size and complexity of your business
- Cost-Effective – more cost-effective than traditional on-premises solutions as it doesn’t require the procurement of additional hardware
- Ease of Use – majority of cloud-based cybersecurity solutions such as M365 are designed to be easy to use and manage
- Easy to Update – by its nature of existing on the cloud, these cybersecurity solutions are easier to update than their on-premised counterparts.
Harness the benefits of cloud-based cybersecurity solutions by working with your trusted IT Solutions Experts. Here at BHT Solutions, we recognize the transformative power technology can extend to businesses. Call us now and schedule an appointment. Make technology work for you.
BHT Solution maintains that everyone should have access to technology so they can utilize it to transform their workflow. Technology is the great equalizer, it allows smaller businesses and individuals to capitalize on their strengths and leverage it to keep up with the big boys. However, our increasing reliance on technology also brings along with it challenges, especially in the realm of cybersecurity. The cybersecurity measures we employ should be able to match the complexity of the IT solutions that we utilize. In this article, our cybersecurity solutions experts shall discuss what a VPN is and how it can benefit your cybersecurity measures.
Cybersecurity Tips: What is a VPN and How Does it Work?
A Virtual Private Network or VPN is a type of online service that allows you to create a secure and encrypted connection between your device and the internet. When you use a VPN, all of your online activity is routed through an encrypted tunnel that nobody can see into, including hackers, government entities, and even your own internet service provider. This makes it difficult for anyone to intercept your internet activity. A VPN is one of the easiest and most effective ways for you to protect your internet traffic and keep your identity private online.
VPNs are easy to install and operate. The first step is to install a VPN application or software on your device. When you wish to connect to the internet, you just have to launch the VPN application and connect to a VPN server to ensure that your internet activity is routed through your VPN.
As mentioned above, the VPN server encrypts your internet traffic, routes it through a secure tunnel, and continues to your intended destination (website you are accessing or interacting with). The encrypted data exits the tunnel at the VPN server location and continues to its intended location; when the website responds, it is sent to the VPN servers which encrypts the traffic and sends it back to your device. The VPN software on your device decrypts the data, and you can access the content as if you were in the same location as the VPN server.
What are the Benefits of VPN as a Cybersecurity Solution?
By routing your online activity through an encryption, using a VPN will afford your cybersecurity solutions the following benefits:
- Protection When Using Public Wi-Fi – Connecting to public Wi-Fi hotspots can leave your private information vulnerable. Using a VPN protects your devices by using strong encryption. This is a good cybersecurity measure to implement for all your devices.
- Protection When Using Remote Access – Accessing your private network from a remote location may expose your network and all devices linked to it to cybersecurity attacks. Using a cybersecurity solution like a VPN allows you to remotely access your private network safely.
- Override Internet Service Provider or Local Wi-Fi Limitations – Some internet service providers and local Wi-Fi connections are known to throttle or limit data speeds. Using a VPN will help bypass said limitations.
- Accessing Restricted Content – As mentioned above, a VPN software makes it so that you are accessing a website from the same location as your VPN server is located. VPN providers have multiple VPN servers located in different parts of the globe that allow you to access content that may otherwise be restricted in your region.
Keep Abreast of Practical Cybersecurity Solutions with Your Trusted IT Solutions Company
When it comes to finding practical, easy-to-implement, yet impactful cybersecurity measures, BHT Solutions should be your go-to. As a minority-owned IT solutions company, BHT Solutions believes in making technology available for individuals to transform their workflow so that they can compete. BHT Solutions builds cybersecurity solutions that are easy to use and tailor-fit to the specific needs of our clients. Call us now and schedule your free 1-hour consultation.
The internet is a global network of interconnected computers that use standardized communication protocols to connect devices and exchange information. This definition may sound like a mouthful but we all know the internet as the technology that allows us to send emails and post pictures and videos through multiple social media apps, among others. Until recently, our access to the internet was limited through devices such as personal computers, smart phones, and tablets. In this article our cybersecurity solution expert will discuss what is the Internet of Things (IoT) and how it can be utilized to transform your workflow.
Interconnected Objects Through the Internet of Things
As mentioned above, the internet is an IT solution that allows devices regardless of distance from each other to connect to a global network and exchange information. Much of our interface with the internet is through the use of computers, smart phones, tablets, and other personal computing gadgets. Building on these discussions, the Internet of Things is an innovation that allows other objects to connect to the internet. The physical objects are embedded with sensors, software, and other technologies for the purpose of connecting and exchanging data with other devices through the internet.
These objects include but are not limited to smart appliances, which are rapidly starting to gain popularity and market share. The concept behind IoT is to allow an interconnected and responsive world, where devices can communicate with each other and allow them to be operated (even remotely) through the use of the internet.
Applications of Internet of Things
The applications of IoT are vast and varied, and span across many industries and sectors. Here are some of examples how IoT is being utilized today:
Smart Homes – IoT devices such as smart thermostats, lighting systems, and security cameras are now being used in what are now referred to as smart homes. These devices can be operated remotely and can also be programmed to activate with specific cues (time, temperature, light).
Healthcare – IoT devices can be used by healthcare practitioners to remotely monitor their patients and collect health data that will facilitate the provision of better care.
Retail – IoT can be used to track inventory, optimize supply management, and personalize better shopping experiences for customers. Some retail stores are pilot testing an automated checkout system where grocery items are tagged with RFIDs and if taken beyond a specific point (checkout sensors) are automatically charged to a shopper’s account. This IT solution eliminates long lines and the need for cashiers.
Making the Most Out of IoT with Your Trusted Cybersecurity Solution Experts
The Internet of Things is a welcome innovation to our ever-increasing interconnected world through the internet. It is an ingenious application of an already existing technology that can improve lives. Here in BHT Solutions, we believe in making technology work for you. Technology is the great equalizer that allows smaller businesses to compete with their more established peers.
However, while IoT increases the ease of use of different things it also brings with it challenges that must be met with appropriate cybersecurity measures. If you are looking to utilize IoT for your operations do not hesitate to call us. We can provide you IT solutions that are easy to use and tailor-fit to your specific business needs. Call us now and schedule your free consultation.
Given our ever-increasing dependence on digital technologies and the internet for our day-to-day operations, it only follows that cybersecurity is becoming more crucial as well. In this article, our IT solutions experts will discuss the significance of cybersecurity solutions and provide tips on setting stronger secure passwords.
What Is Cybersecurity and What Solutions Can We Implement to Keep Our Systems Safe?
Cybersecurity is a collective term for the practices implemented and technologies (software and hardware) used to protect computers, networks, and digital information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, disruption, modification, or destruction.
Examples of practices implemented to improve cybersecurity are: a) setting strong passwords that are not susceptible to brute force attacks, b) using different passwords for different accounts (to limit damage in case of a breach), and c) not storing passwords in obvious places (basic password protection). Familiarizing individuals that use computer systems to recognize signs (social engineering techniques used to carry out a fraud) of cyberattacks such as Phishing and Spoofed Websites is also an important aspect of cybersecurity training.
On the other hand, cybersecurity solutions implemented through existing technologies involve the use of multi-factor authentication, machine learning to detect suspicious activity, data encryption, and password strength assessment, among others. The IT solutions mentioned above are just some of the cybersecurity measures integrated into the Microsoft Office 365 suite of applications and programs.
Cybersecurity Tips: How to Set a Strong Password
Here are some tips from our Cybersecurity solutions experts on how you can set a strong password.
- Use a long password – A longer password is harder to crack than a short one, you should opt to elect a password that is at least 12 characters long.
- Use a mix of characters – Mixing uppercase and lowercase letters with numbers and special characters will make your password more resistant to a brute force attack. This, in conjunction with the first tip, is the core of most cybersecurity measures around password protection.
- Avoid using personal information – Do not use personal information such as names, addresses, or birthdays as passwords as this information are easy to obtain by doing a google search of your name.
- Avoid using common words and phrases – The usual suspects for these common words are ‘password’, ‘123456’, ‘qwerty’, ‘secret’ and other variations of these. These words are the first ones a hacker will attempt when doing a brute force attack. A quick google search of ‘passwords to avoid’ will result in a list of passwords that you should not use.
- Use different passwords for different accounts – This doesn’t make your password stronger but it prevents multiple security breaches should your one password become cracked.
- Use a password manager - The complicated thing with passwords is that they should be complex enough to resist brute force attacks and yet can still be easily remembered by its users. To remedy this conundrum, consider using a password manager to generate and store strong, unique passwords for all of your accounts.
Make Sure Your Cybersecurity Solutions Are in Tip-Top Shape
The cybersecurity measures we have discussed above are just some broad strokes of cybersecurity solutions that you can easily implement for a degree of protection. However, personalized corporate cybersecurity solutions are still best to ensure your IT systems are fully protected. When it comes to IT solutions that are bespoke, easy to use, and responsive to your business’ needs, you should work with a trusted IT solutions company such as BHT solutions. Call us now and schedule a free 1-hour consultation. Help us make technology work for you.
Microsoft Office 365 is a subscription-based online version of the Microsoft Office software suite. Subscription to this versus grants access to various applications used for computing such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as other cloud-sharing platforms such as OneDrive and SharePoint. Office 365 allows its users to access and edit documents from anywhere. Here at BHT Solutions, we believe in making technology work for you and letting it transform your workflow for the better. In this article, our cybersecurity solutions expert shall discuss the cybersecurity measures integrated into Office 365 and provide tips on how to make the most out of these IT solutions.
Office 365 Cybersecurity Protections That Are in Place
The most common type of attacks that cybersecurity measures and IT solutions aim to counter are Phishing and Identity Theft. Phishing attacks aim to obtain sensitive information such as passwords, credit card and banking details, PIN numbers, and OTP (one-time PIN) numbers from unsuspicious individuals by posing as legitimate entities.
In order to prevent these attacks, Office 365 has implemented the following IT solutions to bolster other cybersecurity measures that are already in place.
- Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) – MFA provides an additional layer of protection by requiring other evidence (factors) in order to gain access to an application or website. The goal of an MFA is to provide an additional check in case the password is compromised.
- Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) – Azure AD simplifies logging in by implementing single sign-on for its user without compromising security by requiring MFA and the use of strong passwords. Azure AD detects and blocks known weak passwords.
- Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) – ATP—which was renamed to Microsoft Defender 365 in September 2022—employs machine-learning to detect and block emails likely to contain malicious attachments and links usually used for phishing attacks.
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP) - DLP scans messages, files, and other documents and identifies and protects sensitive information. Users can easily configure the policies that will apply to these identified sensitive information as to what can and cannot be done with the said data. The most common types of sensitive information screened by DLP are credit card numbers, insurance numbers, social security numbers, and other personally-identifiable information.
- Best-in-class Data Encryption – Data transmitted from clients to the cloud via OneDrive and SharePoint employs best-in-class encryption, ensuring that your data is protected as they are routed through their data centers.
Avail Office 365 from Your Trusted IT Solutions Experts
The cybersecurity solutions mentioned above are just some of the features Office 365 has integrated to prevent cybersecurity attacks. Should you wish to make the shift then BHT Solutions is at your service. We recognize that our industry is one that is built on trust and as such we have cultivated that trust through our commitment to excellence, employing user-centric designs that are easy to use, and unparalleled communication and experienced support. Give us a call for your free consultation.